- Expand Peru: is a non-profit organization, concerned with the improvement of the quality of life of people living in extreme poverty in Peru. They work in marginalized urban and rural areas in Peru. They help children and youth who are abandoned or at risk through programs and projects that promote the integral development of this highly vulnerable population. Peru Volunteer works in two very different geographic zones of Peru, which nonetheless share very similar social and economic issues:
- - In the central Andes: In the city of Huancayo, 300 km (190 miles) east of Lima and 3500 m (11500 ft) above sea level, in the middle of the world’s second highest mountain range, the Andes.
- - In the central Amazon: In the city of San Ramón, 320 km (200 miles) from Lima and 400 m (1300 ft) above sea level, in the middle of the Amazon rainforest.
- - Projects:
- Day care centers for babies: These assistance centers are located in remote urban and rural areas and attend to poor children in their first three years of life. They receive food, care and protection through activities which promote their intellectual, physical and social development.
- Orphanages and youth centers: These centres are located in the cities and work with at-risk children and teenagers, who present different and varied problems. Many of them are orphans and others have been abandoned by their parents. Working with them will allow you to learn about the problems that poverty and social marginalization cause within this very sensitive and vulnerable population.
- Special education centers: Youth affected by disabilities constitute a health problem due to its impact on the child’s quality of life, and its repercussions on the family. Children’s well-being is one of society’s most important tasks. The poor economic conditions in Peru, such as hunger, malnutrition, and lack of medical assistance is a cause of high levels of disability.
- Rural schools: Schools in the rural settings do not receive the same amount of attention and help as the ones in the cities. They are faced with a multitude of problems - logistical, economical and technical, and chronically suffer form personnel shortage. The education is kept at the very basic level and there is almost no possibility of any after-school activities which would allow children to develop their personal interests.
- Medical clinics
- CASA - Special Project: Takes care of children and teenagers living in extreme poverty in the city of Huancayo and in the rural area of the Valle del Mantaro.
- - Requirements: Minimum age: 18 years; Documents: National ID / Valid passport, Enrolment form, A photo; Minimum length of stay: One Week; Working hours: 5 hours a day minimum, from Monday to Friday
- - Conditions: To participate you will need to sign up, choose a geographic zone in which you would like to work, choose a program that you would like to get involved in, and choose the accommodation option that you prefer.
- - Accommodation:
- - Volunteer residence: Huancayo
- - Family accommodation in the city: Huancayo / San Ramón
- - Family accommodation in a rural area: Huancayo
- - Cost: see specified pricelist on website
- - Contact: Jr. Ancash 367 2 piso, Huancayo, Perú; (+51 64) 22 6933; email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org