Teodoro "lolo" Fernández
|Full name||Teodoro Fernández Meyzán|
|Date of birth||20 May 1913|
|Place of birth||Perú|
|Date of death||September 17, 1996(aged 83)|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|Universitario de Deportes|
|1931-1953||Universitario de Deportes||180 (157)|
1 Senior club appearances and goals
Teodoro Fernández Meyzán, (born 20 May 1913 in Cañete — died September 17, 1996 in Lima). Nicknamed "Lolo" he played of striker. Recognized as one of Peru's most important players,is the most emblematic player in the history of club Universitario de Deportes. He was part of the Peru squad that won the Copa America 1939 and was top scorer with 7 goals.
He was a great leader of Peruvian national team between 1935 and 1947. He was also known as "El cañonero" ("The cannoneer"), due to his capacity as a striker, excellent shooting and his strong kick. Prolific goalscorer, he was the Peruvian league top-scorer, seven times.
He made his professional debut with Universitario de Deportes in 1931, Lolo would remain with the club during his 22 years as a professional footballer,is the number-one goalscorer with 157 goals in 180 matchs.
He obtained 6 local leagues as player, all of them in Universitario, in 1934, 1939, 1941, 1945, 1946 and 1949.
Several times during his career he rejected offers from teams in Chile, Argentina, and Europa among others who wanted to contract his services. He always preferred to stay loyal to his favorite team, and became a main symbol of the club.
He played for the Peruvian national team from 1935 to 1947, with 24 goals in 32 matchs, is the second top scorer in the history for his country.
In 1936 he represented his country in the Olympic Games in Berlin. In this competition the Peruvian team made its way into the quarterfinals after defeating Finland (7-2) and Austria (4-2). This infuriated the Fuhrer Adolf Hitler, born in Austria, who put a lot of pressure on the IOC to finally have the match cancelled. Indignated, the Peruvian delegation retired from the competition. Lolo Fernandez scored a total of 6 goals in the two games.
In 1939, he played in the South American Championship 1939 becoming that year's champion with the National Team. The final was played against Uruguay (2-1) which at the time was the current Olympic and World Champion. "Lolo" was the top scorer of the competition with 7 goals.
|1935 Copa América||Peru||3º place||3||1|
|1936 Summer Olympics||22x20px Germany||Semifinal||2||6|
|1937 Copa América||22x20px Argentina||6º place||4||2|
|1938 Bolivarian Games||Colombia||Gold medal||4||3|
|1939 Copa América||Peru||Champion||4||7|
|1941 Copa América||Chile||4º place||4||3|
|1943 Copa América||22x20px Uruguay||5º place||6||2|
|1947 Copa América||Ecuador||5º place||3||0|
|Gold||1938 Bolivarian Games||NA|
|1938||Peru National Team||Bolivarian Games|
|1939||Peru National Team||Copa America|
- Peruvian League: Top Scorer 1932, 1933, 1934, 1939, 1940, 1942, 1945
- Copa America 1939: Best Player
- Copa America 1939: Top Scorer
- Copa America Top Scorers, 3th place of All Time with 15 goals.
- Top Scorer All-Time of the Peruvian Super Classic (29 goals).
- Have been only Peruvian league top-scorer, seven times.
- Highest individual scoring per Olympic match (5 goals).
- He is the most capped Peruvian player in the history of Copa America (24 matchs)
- He is the number-one goalscorer in Universitario club's history (157 goals).
|Universitario de Deportes||157||180||0.87|
|Pacific All-Stars Team||48||39||1.23|
|Peru National Team||24||32||0.75|
- Scores and results table. Peruvian's goal tally first:
- ↑ Encarta.msn Lolo Fernández
- ↑ One-club man
- ↑ XI. Olympiad Berlin 1936 Football Tournament
- ↑ 1938 Bolivarian Games
- ↑ Southamerican Championship 1939
- ↑ Primera División Peruana: Top Scorer
- ↑ Copa America; Top Scorers (up to 2007)
- ↑ Highest individual scoring per Olympic match
- ↑ Copa America; JUGADORES CON MAS PARTIDOS
- History of "Lolo" Fernández
- Southamerican Championship 1935
- Southamerican Championship 1937
- Southamerican Championship 1941
- Southamerican Championship 1942ca:Teodoro Fernández Meyzán