|Founded||October 28, 1904|
| 276.68 km2|
2,458 metres (8,064 ft)
|Population (as of the 2005 Census)|
|Mayor||Cico Fernando Alamo Figueroa|
The district was struck and many towns and villages were destroyed by the earthquake and alluvium on May 31, 1970 as can be seen from the Callejón de Huaylas towards the north. Huge amounts of rock and soil completely cover houses, buildings and temples of old towns like Ranrahirca and Yungay. In Yungay alone almost 70 thousand inhabitants died and are covered by the rocks and soil.
9° 8'21.38"S, 77°44'43.88"W Towards the west, at the cemetery at the back of the hill, a big sculpture of Jesus is located. Towards the East, the snow summit of the Huascarán appears. Huascarán was one of the sources of rock and snow that covered the town of Yungay in the 1970 earthquake. Continuing towards the north, in a space defended by the hills against possible new alluviums that might come from the Huascarán mountain, the new city of Yungay has been raised.
In the surroundings, the Pan de Azúcar hill (Sugar loaf hill) raises, where in 1839 the Battle of Yungay took place, next to the stream of the Ancash river. In this place, the Peru-Bolivian Confederation was concluded, after the Bolivian general Santa Cruz's forces were defeated. This battle gave the name of Ancash to this region, which was previously called Huaylas..
- ↑ (Spanish) Instituto Nacional de Estadística e Informática. Banco de Información Digital. Retrieved March 7, 2008.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Yungay Peru. Yungay Peru. retrieved March 7, 2008